Saturday, August 8, 2015

Yes! Yes, I want to be great.

I sat there Friday and told one of my best teacher friends, "I am done pretending like I don't want to be great at this. I am close, and I want it." I don't remember if the second part was exactly what I said, but it is what I meant. So as I sat there Saturday afternoon and read the words of Dave Burgess in the final section of his book Teach Like a Pirate, I was blown away. 'Do you want to be great?' 

Yes!



My entire career I have wanted to be great, but since moving to my current district I have been moving closer and closer. I have learned a ton and worked hard.  In the last year, opportunities have led to an unquenchable appetite for methodology. I listen to podcasts, lurk in Twitter chats,  write ideas in Google docs on my phone, and find a wonderful sense of joy in creating and sharing activities. I have been completely sucked in. Burgess, Teamann, Provenzano, Sackstein, and Wettrick; names that meant nothing to me months ago are now my go to source on the web for encouragement and inspiration. They aren't it, but they have pushed the barrel into the water just before the falls, and I am ready. Adrenalin's pumping. I am going over the falls, and there isn't any looking back. 

The thing about being great is that it isn't about my ego or your ego. It is different than saying I want to be the best. The word great implies that I am really, really good at what I do. The word best implies that I am better than you. Everyone in the building can be great! Imagine that for a second. Going to a school where every teacher is truly great.  Every teacher being passionate about what and how they teach. It would overflow on to the kids like a tidal wave. But, it starts with you (and me) looking into the mirror and deciding greatness is our goal.

I am going for it and I am going to share this quest with you, whoever you are...even if it is just me rereading. Join me on this quest to be great. I will do my best to be all Neil Patrick Harris and share more than once a week (I have just dated myself), we will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment