Sunday, May 12, 2019

Changing the Game Part 1: What Lies Ahead


Over the past 2 years, my science class has been gamified. Our superhero themed class sparked some great stories and unforgettable moments. Some things have worked like a charm, others, not so much. However, if there is anything that I am proud of it is keeping it going for two years. Working with my teaching partner, Tom, to build it was awesome and we put a lot of ideas out there for our kids to enjoy. That said we have had our fair share of obstacles and distractions. This year, a year where I had hoped to implement a real narrative was run over by a push for mastery learning (which was super great), the sudden inclusion of a science/social studies split (something that we asked for, but wasn’t as great) and me participating in the Nintendo Labo classroom program (something that was awesome but time consuming). These things split our focus this year and kind of took away from the 4th Grade Heroes experience.


Then, just before Spring Break, I got the news that I would be looping with my class and without my best teaching friend, Tom. Admittedly, I was disappointed to be separated from someone who has grown to be one of my best friends. Then something funny happened as I realized looping meant starting over with my game. A fresh slate. A chance to look at everything in the last two years and start over. And suddenly, my mind just started to run...or better yet fly in a different direction. We have not even reached the end of the year and I am knee deep into where I am going for next year. Don’t get me wrong, there is still plenty to be done to send these kids off right. They have worked hard and they deserve the best ending I can give them. That said, I am growing more excited about next year all the time.


I have a new teammate, with emphasis on NEW. Ms. Hagemeier is wrapping up her first year and her energy is exciting. I have never gotten to be the older teacher in a group where I am working directly with them, so my mission with her is to help her find herself as she grows and incorporate as much of her style into this as we can. I also need to not overwhelm her. I have a tendency to do that when I get excited, and as I said, I am really excited.


My other major goal is to tear down everything that did not work in 4th Grade Heroes and build on the lessons and failures. It is my intention to document this process. More for my own self reflection, but if others can read it and grow then we all gain. Whatever I create during the process I intend to share freely. I hope that you enjoy this trip to the stars with me.


If you hadn’t picked up on it yet, the new theme will be space sci-fi. Here is a look at our new logo. I am really proud of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment